Society of American Archivists, Indiana University Student Chapter
Meeting Agenda: September 7, 2011
Become a Member & Join the List-serv
- Membership is open to anyone with an interest in archives and special collections, participate in chapter events, run/vote for next year’s officers, $5 fee to join helps fund chapter events
- Join the list-serv
Monthly Meetings/Social Events
At monthly meetings we’ll hear updates on projects, discuss archives-related topics and any issues members would like to cover. We’ll also try to head somewhere for food and fun afterward!
- Local Repositories (IU Archives, Lilly Library, Wiley House, Kinsey)
- Regional Tours
- Please e-mail us if there’s a tour you’d like us to coordinate!
- Blog – Student perspectives, Alumni interviews
- National History Day, April 2012
- Student Records Project (currently inactive)
- Please e-mail us if you’d like to share your internship or on-campus work experience, your thoughts on archives/manuscripts/special collections-related issues, etc., for the “Student Perspectives” series on this blog!
American Archives Month Project
- American Archives Month: To raise awareness about the value of archives
- Weekly blog post(s) in October to highlight the Civil War holdings of southern Indiana repositories
- Watch for an e-mail the week of 9/11 to sign up for one of the weekend excursions!
Conference for Graduate Students and Beginning Professionals
- Provide a forum for students and beginning professionals to present original research, internship experiences, etc., in the areas of archives, manuscripts and special collections
- Conference committee needs volunteers to develop theme, send out call for papers, choose presenters, organize catering, etc., for March 2012 conference
- First meeting is Wednesday, Sept. 21 at 5:30, Room TBA
Professional Conferences and Workshops
- In the past, SAA-SC has presented chapter posters at the Midwest Archives Conference (MAC) 2010, and SAA annual meeting 2011
Fundraising (Open Chair!)
- The Fundraising Chair is responsible for raising money for the student chapter through sales of items, events, etc. One SAA-SC member has expressed interest, so if you’d like to be a co-Chair, please e-mail us!
Upcoming events and reminders:
- Lee Hamilton 9/11 Commission Papers Talk: Mon., Sept. 12, 5 p.m., Rm. 033
- Attend a lecture with SAA-SC: Collecting in the Third Reich: Hermann Goering and Nazi Art Looting, Fri., Sept.16, 4:30 p.m., Woodburn Hall, Rm. 120, followed by reception at IU Art Museum. Meet in the SLIS lab at 4:15, and we’ll walk to Woodburn together.
- Society of Indiana Archivists Fall 2011 Workshop: “Nuts and Bolts: Archives Basics,” Friday, Oct. 7, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m., DePauw University Archives, Greencastle, IN, $30 for members & $40 for nonmembers. (A student membership for SIA is $5).
- Join the Society of American Archivists. It’s $47 for a student membership, and student members are eligible to:
- To hold any appointive position in the Society;
- To vote for officers, councilors, members of the nominating committee;
- To vote on all matters requiring a vote which come before the Society as a whole;
- To be members of constituent units of the Society; and
- To receive the benefits of the Society’s programs and services.